Updating your home with a remodel or renovation is a thrilling process full of possibilities, but it can also be very stressful. It's a big undertaking for any homeowner, and good preparation goes a long way toward ensuring that your home improvements go smoothly from start to finish. Use these 10 expert steps to prepare for your home remodel or renovation:
- Do project research about price, time, ROI, property values and material options.
- Think long term about any ways your family's needs may change in the future and how this remodel can help accommodate these future needs.
- Set a budget which includes everything from labor to materials. Leave room in the budget for unexpected expenses.
- Get to know your professional remodeler by looking into credentials, certifications and trade association memberships. Professionals shouldn't just have a license.
- Ask questions about the process, costs, education and past issues they've had with clients.
- Verify references, license numbers, insurance information and certifications. Look for press coverage of past work or evidence of past involvement in industry events.
- Review the contract carefully. Make sure you understand it. And ask questions if you need clarification.
- Consider design. Articulate what you don't like and what you would like to change. Be as specific as possible.
- Select your materials and include them (and the cost) in the contract.
- Have a communication plan that clarifies everyone's role, communication methods, availability and communication frequency.
If you are thinking about building a custom luxury home or if you are in need of expert home renovations in Fairfield county, CT, contact us at 203-762-0550 or online at the Country Club Homes Inc. website.